The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which side do YOU view as right?

Go down 
+9
coby
The Opposition
General Stuart
Adrocles
debski
Civility_C
Iron Brigade General
ttbk
DCCCfC aka General Lee
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Which side do you support?
The Confederacy
Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 Vote_lcap63%Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 Vote_rcap
 63% [ 10 ]
The Union
Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 Vote_lcap37%Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 Vote_rcap
 37% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 11:26 am

Look what you did Gen. Lee, you caused everyone to go off topic! Very Happy lol, no problem... I thought it was hypothetical.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 11:29 am

Well if they think that it is my fault they should say so. Very Happy BACK ON TOPIC!
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 11:29 am

You are on topic. tongue
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 11:52 am

Back to Nullification. What are your views on this, Civ?
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 11:54 am

Oh gosh...
I would say good and bad thing. Good in that it gave the states rights but bad if the government couldn't control anything going on within the state. If that make any sense at all... hah
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 3:06 pm

Yes, there is always the question of who gets the final say. Give it to the Federal Government, and they use it to overrule the states' rights. Give it to the States, and they have the ability to ignore everything that the Federal Government does. But I think that in the time when our country was founded, when means of communication and travel were extremely limited, it would have been of more importance to give the States the option and the ability to nullify unconstitutional jurisdiction.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 3:07 pm

I'll agree with you there,
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 7:21 pm

Thank you Civ! I appreciate the support.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptySat Dec 16, 2006 2:06 am

Ahem, about nullification, again I think it gives the state way to much power because if you can take a law away simply because somebody in a poll dubs it "uncontitutional" for whatever reason, then you have to much say in the matter. That's why the feds(it does NOT sound dorky Suspect ) are there, to bring a balance to the way the nation is governed. To set limits on power, not to excerize it. At least, thats what they are supposed to do. Rolling Eyes afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2006 9:15 pm

The Opposition wrote:
That's why the feds(it does NOT sound dorky Suspect ) are there, to bring a balance to the way the nation is governed. To set limits on power, not to excerize it. At least, thats what they are supposed to do. Rolling Eyes afro

Oppie, listen to what you just said: "That's why the feds...are there...to set limits on power, not to exercise it."

First of all, if the "feds" (btw, it does sound dorky lol) only exist to limit power, whose power are they limiting? Question

Secondly, isn't the very act of limiting power, also an act of exercising power? Question

The way our government was designed to work, is with governing by the people. The people always have the final say. But who directly represents the people, in the little picture? Congress? Not really, they are only one of three branches of government who all share power equally, thus, in theory, giving the people only 33% direct say. The real representatives of the people are the states. The more local you can get, the smaller government gets, and all the more impact people have on goverment.

The U.S. Constitution, the document by which our government functions, has but one soul purpose: to set limits on the federal government. The way the constitution works, is not to set limits on the people, but to create restraints upon the central government. We, the people, are not governed in our everyday lives and actions by what the Constitution says we can and cannot do. Rather, the federal government is; if a right of government is not included in the Constitution, then our government cannot execute that act.

Naturally, in this situation, we cannot give the federal government the right to dictate its own rights and powers. Who is to do it then? Believe it or not, it was with the goodwill of the States, and representatives of the people acting as delegates, who formed the Constitution, and passed it into law; the delegates by creating such a document, and the states by accepting it in a near-unanimous majority. It wasn't until then, in all reality, that the United States of America came into being. For what is the United States? In my mind, I see it as more of a state of being, a virtual bondage, entered into by the states. There is no such place as the United States. It only exists in the historical documents that created this Great Expiriment, and in the hearts and minds of the people. It is an image, and a symbol, of freedom, liberty, and equality.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyTue Dec 19, 2006 1:30 am

General Stuart wrote:
The Opposition wrote:
That's why the feds(it does NOT sound dorky Suspect ) are there, to bring a balance to the way the nation is governed. To set limits on power, not to excerize it. At least, thats what they are supposed to do. Rolling Eyes afro

Oppie, listen to what you just said: "That's why the feds...are there...to set limits on power, not to exercise it."

First of all, if the "feds" (btw, it does sound dorky lol) only exist to limit power, whose power are they limiting? Question

Secondly, isn't the very act of limiting power, also an act of exercising power? Question

The way our government was designed to work, is with governing by the people. The people always have the final say. But who directly represents the people, in the little picture? Congress? Not really, they are only one of three branches of government who all share power equally, thus, in theory, giving the people only 33% direct say. The real representatives of the people are the states. The more local you can get, the smaller government gets, and all the more impact people have on goverment.

The U.S. Constitution, the document by which our government functions, has but one soul purpose: to set limits on the federal government. The way the constitution works, is not to set limits on the people, but to create restraints upon the central government. We, the people, are not governed in our everyday lives and actions by what the Constitution says we can and cannot do. Rather, the federal government is; if a right of government is not included in the Constitution, then our government cannot execute that act.

Naturally, in this situation, we cannot give the federal government the right to dictate its own rights and powers. Who is to do it then? Believe it or not, it was with the goodwill of the States, and representatives of the people acting as delegates, who formed the Constitution, and passed it into law; the delegates by creating such a document, and the states by accepting it in a near-unanimous majority. It wasn't until then, in all reality, that the United States of America came into being. For what is the United States? In my mind, I see it as more of a state of being, a virtual bondage, entered into by the states. There is no such place as the United States. It only exists in the historical documents that created this Great Expiriment, and in the hearts and minds of the people. It is an image, and a symbol, of freedom, liberty, and equality.
Whoah, Sorry about that, I was a little confused.

maybe it had something to do with that coconut that hit me on the head yesterday........monkey

(and feds does not SOUND DORKY!)
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyTue Dec 19, 2006 12:18 pm

No problem Oppie. And to be honest, "the feds" sounds like a bad thing, like the guys that come to take E.T. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rebel thunder
Artillary
Artillary

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 9:46 am

Most of the Confederate states did not even have Lincoln on their presidential ballots in 1860. That fact alone gives the North more credence.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 11:33 pm

What side do you support, Reb? I thought your name was something of a hint, but maybe not...
Back to top Go down
Rebel thunder
Artillary
Artillary

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 6:29 am

I'ma born and bred Yankee who thinks Lee was a better general than Grant, and my moniker reflects that.
My main concern is the historical truth, as far as knowable, so I don't blindly support either side. For instance, I believe that Lee made mistakes at Gettysburg, but do not beleive it was a decisive battle. I don't see any one battle as crucial to deciding the war.

I think the fireeaters (on both sides) influenced/controlled the debate enough to put rational thought on the back burner until sucession made rationality impossible.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 pm

Topic closed due to it's having 23 pages.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Which side do YOU view as right?
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14