The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which side do YOU view as right?

Go down 
+9
coby
The Opposition
General Stuart
Adrocles
debski
Civility_C
Iron Brigade General
ttbk
DCCCfC aka General Lee
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Which side do you support?
The Confederacy
Which side do YOU view as right? Vote_lcap63%Which side do YOU view as right? Vote_rcap
 63% [ 10 ]
The Union
Which side do YOU view as right? Vote_lcap37%Which side do YOU view as right? Vote_rcap
 37% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

Which side do YOU view as right? Empty
PostSubject: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyThu Oct 12, 2006 9:31 pm

Which side does everyone support?
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
ttbk
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 6:58 am

I believe the question is overly simplified, and that neither side was completely right. That is always the case, but with the American war of 1861-1865 it was even more so than usual. Very complicated.

A more interesting line of questioning, to my mind, would be to ask what all the causes were, for each side, and to examine those at length. Not with the intent to say "Oh, this side had a just cause." or "Surely this side was wrong" but to try to learn why those men did what they did.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 12:17 pm

Once you learn about each side in great depth, then you can make guesses. If you study on side more then the other, you aren't getting a fair picture of the situation.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Well lean toward the Confedearcy, but I think the Union was right on soe stuff too.

Once you read about some of the stuff the yankees did, you don't like them as much. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 1:49 pm

Civility_C wrote:

Once you read about some of the stuff the yankees did, you don't like them as much. Very Happy
How right you are!!! thats one of the truest statements Ive ever heard!
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 2:04 pm

Why thank you, Sir.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 2:42 pm

I have heard both sides of the doing bad stuff argument. The South had Quantrill, the north had Sherman. If Jackson had had his way, all yankees wouldn't have been taken prisoner, just killed. Sheridan wasted the whole Shenedoah Valley. Quantrill butchered every man in Saint Louis. Sherman sent 400 women north to be raped.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 3:47 pm

Can you give some examples of non-partisan atrocites (against civilians)? See there is a difference between Sherman officially allowing and promoting (and getting promoted for promoting) total war against civilians and the Missouri Partisans who werent even officially Confederates... (their state never seceded) I wont deny the fact that the Partisans murdered and pilaged but look at the fact that they technically werent even Confederate! (though I and everyone I know look upon them as such) After Quantrill the biggest thing the South has pinned on them (as far as I know) is the "massacre at fort Pillow" (which though in my opinion wrong... It was a battle and it was not against civilians)! (By the way I have never heard of Confederates raping women (Not saying that Ive heard everything) whereas there are MANY acounts of Yankees doing it and gitting off scot free! (General Butler actually told his men to!).

Your Friend
General Lee
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: how 'bout.....   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 4:28 pm

And what about the unfair trial of Henry Wirz? Yes it was unfair.

How 'bout the pillaging done? How about the story of 15 year old Union solider putting a knife to the throat of a woman, while she was trying to protect her children and property (no not slaves)?
As far as I know, that never happend when the Confederate army was in Maryland and PA.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 4:38 pm

YES Henry Wirz trial was totally unfair. Very little if any pillaging happened in MD and Penn. in fact the CS army was so strict about pillaging and plundering that they executed at least six soldiers who disobeyed orders by doing it.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 8:08 am

What makes me mad about that was that he wasn't even american. A little known fact is that my great-great grandfather, quartermaster John A. Harman of Jackson Corps, had several houses dismantled despite the pleas of the inhabitants and floated the planks down river to Lee's army after Gettysburg. Stuart raided Cashtown and took several people hostage and emptied all the shoes from the city and took all the horses they could find during 1862. But, those are just a few examples.
Back to top Go down
debski
Aministrator's Mommy
Aministrator's Mommy

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyTue Oct 17, 2006 12:27 pm

You know what I like; all the different views. I agree that each side had it's strengths and weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyTue Oct 17, 2006 12:48 pm

During just about any war regadless of what was stake, there were always a bunch of screw-ups from both sides.

That's just the way of war.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyTue Oct 17, 2006 1:51 pm

I agree with you there. I lean towards the union becuase they wanted they wanted to keep the Union together. I don't agree with all they did. I do think though that the people with good intentions (which were most) outway those who didn't.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyWed Oct 25, 2006 6:21 pm

If we want to look at atrocities, it is obviouse that we will find more northern crimes than southern, since most of the war took place in the south, and the Army of Northern Virginia was very strict on that subject. One figure I thought would have come up on this topic by now is Gen. John S. Mosby, CSA, another confederate officer who started out as a partisan ranger in West Virginia. He didn't commit a single war crime throughout the conflict, and was still able to drive Union commanders crazy, whereas Sherman felt he could only succeed by destroying the people themselves, and laying waste to the land.

As to who I think is RIGHT, that is totally different. I had to think a moment before answering the poll. I know that I support the south so far as that I would root for them. I think they were justified in their actions. But I also think it was in the interests of future generations for the north to win. It is very unrealistic to believe that two nations, formerly one, would be able to live peacefully side by side. Imagine the rush there would be to claim the plains lands not settled as of yet. That would probably give the North just the excuse it needs to set off another war with the runaway states. I don't think the Union ever would have given up hope of regaining the south someday. Besides this, the southern ideal of a loose, decentralized government was practicly hell to work with during a war, nevermind trying to hold that together during peace. The Confederate States of America probably would have dissolved even further when faced with these trials, sparking either their own civil war that any European nation seeking easy land might jump in on, or the unrealistic ideals would be declared faulty, and the whole point of the "southern revolution" would be lost. In order to hold off civil war or revolution, the Confederate government would be forced to either centralize, and make itself powerful enough to stop such an occurance. And the Union, and the rest of the wold, would be faced with a top-heavy republic bordering on dictatorship, that would most likely only be able to keep itself united while at war.

Thus the belief that the south's next targets of conquest would be Mexico and Cuba. These rumors were even fueled by candid remarks made by Confederate President Jefferson Davis to that effect. I'll stop now lol.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 am

When i looked at the poll I admit I was a little suprised. I have run into more people then less who have favored the Union. As for who i consider to be in the "right", there is no doubt in my mind that the union had every right to do what they did. I just watched Gods and Generals a few days ago. Very good flick i thought.

OK COME ON POEPLE WHAT IS THE DEAL HERE? Sure the Union had it's faults but look at what they were fighting for.Exclamation Not only to keep the nation strong and unified, but all the things thatwould be righted once the conflict was over. I'm not even gona get started on Slavery.
granted each side had it's faults but i firmly believe that the our country is better off because of The Union's victory.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 am

The Opposition wrote:
OK COME ON POEPLE WHAT IS THE DEAL HERE? Sure the Union had it's faults but look at what they were fighting for.Exclamation Not only to keep the nation strong and unified, but all the things thatwould be righted once the conflict was over.

You are right: the north was fighting to strengthen the federal government, strangling the natural soverign rights of the states themselves. THIS is what the south was fighting for: to maintain their rights. NOT slavery. Please read my earlier post on this subject. But I also agree with you that we are 100% better off because the north won. So, it's really alot of mixed feelings.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 12:25 pm

I fully agree with General Stuart.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Thnx Cool
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 12:50 pm

You're welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Hey, Civ, I like your sig. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 1:37 pm

Haha thanks
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 1:54 pm

The scarey thing about it is now we have napalm and stuff. Total warfare is now truely total warfare.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 pm

Yah your right. I didnt mean they were fighting to preserve slavery, it was just a wrong that was righted. Persay.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? EmptySat Oct 28, 2006 12:02 am

Even though there was still slavery in parts of the North. But yeah it's a lot of mixed feelings.Laughing Mad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which side do YOU view as right?   Which side do YOU view as right? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which side do YOU view as right?
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next