The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Robert E. Lee

Go down 
+5
The Opposition
General Stuart
Iron Brigade General
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Civility_C
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

Robert E. Lee - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2007 9:20 am

Not well said Lee. Washington made it possible so Lee could be around. Without Washington, who can say they are Americans? And, as a matter of fact, history has blown Lee to a god status pretty much. He was not a god, and he was not immortal or infallible. But, pepole have made him out to be. I'm not saying Lee was great, he was. But, people have blown him out of porportion.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 am

And you don't think they have done that with Lincoln???
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah, you ever been to the Lincoln Temple(memorial) in DC? Atleast Lee didnt have a Temple made after him. Very Happy Though some people may elevate Lee to god statis I dont and I dont support people who do.
Besides how does what you said...
"Washington made it possible so Lee could be around. Without Washington, who can say they are Americans?" prove that Lee wasnt as great as Washington?
Thats just silly... Neutral(and if you are talking about people being elevated to god statis there alot of Americans including Washington who can be picked on.)
If being in god statis while you are dead is a stain on your character then we can stain alot of Americans who would HATE knowing that people are treating them as gods.

Your friend (who believes Lee was a man),
General Lee
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm with Lee.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2007 12:32 pm

IBG, just think of this: there is a reason why many people of the South did and do regard Lee as something of a god. He gave them hope, he gave them pride, and when the end came, he left them with honor.

As to the use of the very word "god", remember the heroes of ancient mythology? They weren't gods, yet they weren't humans? I think this defenition would more suitably define the South's feelings for Lee; many probably believed him to be an agent of God. Considering the massive odds that he and his men overcame, it is pretty safe to say that Lee and his army received some help from above. Why would it seem ludicrous for some to assume that he was something of a savior to the South?

Of course some could say that we are all agents of God, placed here for some unknown purpose. I do not regard Robert E. Lee as a god, nor as some heavenly being. But I will say this: though I may hold great respect for many people and/or their abilities, R.E. Lee is the only man, in all the history of this planet, that I look up to, for his actions, the way he lived his life, and the way he conducted himself, in both victory and defeat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Robert E. Lee
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: Confederate States of America :: Generals of the South-
Jump to: