The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Robert E. Lee

Go down 
+5
The Opposition
General Stuart
Iron Brigade General
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Civility_C
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Robert E. Lee - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Doesn't matter. You're still carrying it on. Backkkkkkkk to R.E.Lee. NOW! lol
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Iron Brigade General wrote:
Well, even if Sherman is not willing to admit it himself, he forced the war to end sooner.
I believe this is where the topic turned off topic... lol Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Listen to the lady people! (pssssssst.......she's a mod. Wink )
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 04, 2006 5:24 pm

I have not heard a satisfactory account explaining why Lee didn't call for the rations awaiting his men at Appomatox Court House. It's understandable that the way things were going, Lee would want to keep his trains and artillery at the head of the column, which would be as far as possible from any chance of capture. However, his men had gone a week since last being issued rations; don't you think that Lee would want to feed his men as soon as possible, and to that purpose call his wagons back to meet his troops? Even if Lee wanted to avoid this, in order to gain all speed, he should have known that Union cavalry were racing to head him off at Appomatox, putting his trains in danger, and yet, he kept his cavalry at the rear of the column, providing protection there. Of course, in reality Lee was caught between a rock and a hard place; at this point he only had 20,000 effectives left, -a number that number would soon deteriorate to 12,000- due to straggling and the effects of the forced marches without rations. But it just doesn't seem logical to me that Lee wouldn't call for the rations awaiting him, in order to feed his men as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 8:03 am

I think he had a brain fart then.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 pm

Very Happy no seriously.....
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 2:42 pm

So was I.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2006 5:02 pm

I think he must have put speed as his first priority. That's the only thing that can explain it... And it's easy to understand such a decision.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Lee was all about speed, swiftness was the only advantage that Lee had over Grants, Mcclellen and Sherman's army. afro
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2006 7:02 pm

What about his better tactics?
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2006 7:14 pm

I know he had other tactics, I said his only advantage was the fact that he could move his army quicker. Although, he did train his troops better. afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2006 4:14 pm

Oppie, I think you're alittle lost. First of all, we were actually talking about Lee's march to join Johnson...which of course failed, culminating in the end of the war and the surrender at Appomatox. Secondly, Sherman never fought Lee's army. And McClellan would roll in his grave if he could see the variation of ways you've (mis)spelled his name so far. Very Happy

And speed wasn't one of Lee's big advantages. He used better tactics, like Gen. Lee said, and the individual southern fighting man was better than his northern counterpart. Of course, some say this is a myth, but how else can you explain the war lasting so long considering the wide disparity in numbers?
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 pm

This is a quote of Lees which I found...

A member of his staff asked, "Oh General, what will history say of the surrender of the army in the field?"

His answer... "Yes, I know they will say hard things of us; they will not understand how we were overwhelmed by numbers, but that is not the question, Colonel; the question is, is it right to surrender this army? And if it is right, then I will take all the responsibility."
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Lee was an honorable man, no doubt of that.

Last edited by on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Traveller
Artillary
Artillary
Traveller

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2007 8:38 am

Well its his 200th birthday today... just a note...
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2007 9:35 am

Oh YEAH!grant whip lee
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 20, 2007 11:54 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBERT E. LEE!!!
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 20, 2007 12:00 pm

I thouhgt that was yesterday?

Anyway, I've been working on a research paper about Lee. So far, I have this:

Robert Lee was a great General as well as a great man . His early war campaigns were filled with many great victories. Though there are many books and such on his many early victories, I would like to focus on his later battles.

On a sweltering hot day near the beginning of May, 1863, Generals Robert Lee and "Fighting Joe" Hooker met near a small town called Chancellorsville in the heartland of Virginia. Hooker had just replaced General Burnside as Commander of the Army of the Potomac and was in charge of nearly 120,00 men. Lee on the other hand only had 60,00 men, but still held the Rappahannock line. Hooker was planning on keeping Lee’s attention on Fredericksburg while he sent another force around the town of Chancellorsville to attack the Confederate flank. The movement of Yankee troops began on April 27th and seem like a success, but Hooker hesitated and on April 30th withdrew his flanking troops to a defensive position at Chancellorsville. The next day, Lee left a small force at Fredericksburg and boldly moved to attack Hooker. He sent "Stonewall" Jackson to attack Hooker’s right side, while he struck in front. The attack, on May 2nd, cutting the Northern Army almost in two, but the Union troops managed to set up a defensive like. Hooker retreated across the Rappahannock River four days later. Though called "Lee’s perfect battle," he lost his most able general when General Jackson was shot by accident by his own troops. Jackson’s arm was amputated , and Lee wrote Jackson’s Chaplain: "... He has lost his left arm, but I have lost my right." Jackson, having been wounded on May 2nd, died eight days later from pneumonia and the effects of the amputation.

That was only Chancellorsville. I still have Gettysburg, The wilderness, Petersburg...... *keeps naming off battles*
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Nice start! thumbsup Yes, it was yesterday, but I'm usually late with these things anyway.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 20, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks! I had to go back and read up on stuff like what the heck "flanking" someone was haha
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Only thing I can add, is that Hooker's entire military strength was 160,000, of all arms. I think that this shows it in a fairer light, since Lee's armies are commonly reffered to in a figure of all arms (since he didn't have that many men anyway).
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 20, 2007 12:58 pm

Well, that may have been, but all the websites and books I have read all differed slightly. 120,000 was the number I found the most...
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 21, 2007 11:37 am

This article, from the Washington Post, was on the front page of our area's largest newspaper, commemorating R.E. Lee's 200th birthday. I found it needlessly detracting of the great man, and all-in-all, repulsive. It's pathetic that any moron would write such tripe, especially on the birthday of such an American legend. This was NOT the direction to go in, searching for a good article subject, "re-evaluating the legacy". This Brigid Schulte is an embarassment to journalism. Well, so is the Washington Post. That's why Rush Limbaugh uses it to wipe his rear end. Very Happy (hey, he said it himself lol)

The first paragraph wasn't in my newspaper's edition of the article, but the rest is the same.

By Brigid Schulte
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 19, 2007; B01

Today, the United Daughters of the Confederacy plan to fly a Confederate flag on Washington Street in Alexandria, on the statue of a rebel soldier who faces South. The Virginia Sons of Confederate Veterans will gather for dinner in Richmond to honor the man they hail as "one of the greatest Americans."

It's the 200th birthday of Robert E. Lee, the Confederate general who is revered by some and reviled by others. Commemorations and protests are planned across Virginia and other Southern states, proving that more than 140 years after the end of the Civil War, Lee is still a pivotal, controversial and complicated figure in American history and continuing race and culture wars.

In Virginia, where Lee was born, fought in the Civil War and died -- no matter whether he's viewed as a hero who fought brilliantly and valiantly for state's rights or as a traitor bent on protecting his state's right to own slaves -- his legacy looms large. Lee highways crisscross the state, including in the Washington region, Lee bridges cross rivers, high schools are named for him and the phone book lists hundreds of Robert E. Lees.

But beyond the heat and noise created by Lee's 21st-century defenders and detractors, there is a new move to reevaluate Lee and his legacy.

The premise of the new look is perhaps as controversial as Lee's image: As the South has become more racially and ethnically diverse and has prospered economically, perhaps the South doesn't need Lee so much anymore. Or at least not in the same way. Perhaps it is time to let him pass from marble icon and touchstone of white Southern identity into the annals of history as a charismatic and important human figure.

"Now there are all sorts of other ways in which Southerners identify themselves -- Salvadorans, Mexicans, Asians -- [and] the politics and economics of the region are no longer based on white supremacy," said W. Fitzhugh Brundage, a historian at the University of North Carolina and a member of the Society of the Lees of Virginia. "It makes all the sense in the world that for more and more Southerners, Robert E. Lee is just a footnote."

At Arlington House at Arlington National Cemetery -- the old Lee mansion and plantation where Union officers began burying the Civil War dead -- Lee's bicentennial was commemorated with a symposium, "Does Lee Matter?"

And at Washington and Lee University, where Lee became president after the Civil War, the bicentennial is being marked with "Re-visioning Lee," an art exhibit exploring how Lee's image has been exploited for various causes. A big draw was the discussion "What Lee Means Today," led by two history professors, one white and one African American.

Not too far from Lee Chapel, where Lee is buried and which boasts a marble statue of him reclining with his hand on his sword, ready for battle, Theodore Carter DeLaney, the black professor, passed out a 1928 essay on Lee by African American writer W.E.B. DuBois. "It is ridiculous to seek to excuse Robert Lee" because he "led a bloody war to perpetuate human slavery," DuBois wrote.

"At Washington and Lee, all things are on the table for debate and discussion, including Robert E. Lee," Delaney said. "Nothing's too sacred. And that's an important change."

The white professor, J. Holt Merchant, remembers growing up in Virginia when few people questioned Lee's heroic stature as the "Last Gentle Knight."

"But the days when William Faulkner could say that any Southern boy, any time he wanted to, could conjure up images of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg and relive it for himself, are gone. Life's not like that anymore, and it's probably just as well," Merchant said. "Changes in demography, geography, wealth and sophistication have led us to pay attention to other things. As life has gotten better for Southerners, they've been able to look to the present and the future and not hang on to the past quite so passionately."

Robert E. Lee was born Jan. 19, 1807, at Stratford Plantation on the Northern Neck of Virginia and was the fifth child of Revolutionary War hero Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee. He attended West Point and never received a demerit. By all accounts enormously handsome, tall, charismatic and humble, he had a long and illustrious career in the U.S. Army. In 1861, as Southern states contemplated secession, Lee privately ridiculed the idea. Still, when he was offered command of the Union Army, he turned it down once Virginia -- his "country" -- seceded.

During the Civil War, Lee's troops were often vastly outnumbered but managed to win or fight to a stalemate for years. Once the war ended, Lee resisted calls to continue the fight in the hills as a guerrilla and instead encouraged his soldiers to go home and begin rebuilding the nation. He retired to what was then Washington College, where he set about innovating the offerings, including the first classes in the country in business and journalism.

In other countries, leaders of failed civil rebellions are often reviled. But a strange thing happened to Lee after he died. He became beloved by many. Over the years, he has been praised by the likes of Theodore Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Dwight D. Eisenhower, who had a picture of Lee hanging in his office.

Northerners, seizing on Lee's early ambivalence about the war, his gentlemanly sense of honor and duty, and his distaste of slavery -- he once wrote that it was a "moral and political evil" -- embraced the Confederate general as a way to foster reconciliation, said John Coski, a historian at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond. In 1901, he was one of only 29 Americans inducted into New York University's Hall of Fame. Julia Ward Howe, who wrote the lyrics for the Battle Hymn of the Republic, composed a poem in Lee's honor.

At the same time, his former generals wrote of him as so perfect and his cause so noble that Lee became fixed as the tragic hero of a romantic "Lost Cause" and that cause became synonymous with white Southern identity.

"There's an old saw in the South of a little girl asking, 'Mommy, is Robert E. Lee from the Old Testament or the New?' " Coski said. "Lee has been so praised and distorted that they made him more than human, and in so doing, made him less than human. He's a complex figure. If we want to understand history in its complexity, we have to understand Robert E. Lee."

The loud and public culture war continues. A Richmond-area Boy Scout troop created a furor over "craven surrendering to political correctness" when it decided recently to strip Lee from its name and logo. The NAACP has protested the use of almost $500,000 in state funds to refurbish the towering Lee statue on Richmond's Monument Avenue. And when the Virginia General Assembly created a special commission last year to plan a year of events to commemorate the Lee bicentennial, the panel wanted Lee license plates and more lessons about Lee in the public schools. Instead, after intensely emotional debate -- one African American delegate said Lee's likeness reduced him to tears -- all that was given was a $5,000 grant to publish a tourist brochure on Lee-related events in the state.

But take a walk inside Arlington's Washington-Lee High School for a look at the New South. Inside the front door, a "diversity quilt" is displayed with symbols of the countries and cultures represented at the school. A map of the world and a photo mosaic of students show them in all colors and hues. The assistant principals are Latino and black. Students pass by the portrait of Lee in the library shrugging. "No one really notices him," 16-year-old Andrew Gilbert said.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2007 7:25 am

All I can say is... If they dont care for Lee then they should dump Washington out the window too.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Well said, Lee. Very Happy It's a crying shame that some losers feel the need to "re-evaluate" the legacy of such a legend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robert E. Lee   Robert E. Lee - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Robert E. Lee
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: Confederate States of America :: Generals of the South-
Jump to: