The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Causes of the War

Go down 
+6
Adrocles
debski
Iron Brigade General
NC1862
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Civility_C
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What were the Causes of the War?
Slavery
Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Cultural diffrences
Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Too many to count!
Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 38% [ 5 ]
IT WASN'T SLAVERY!
Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%Causes of the War - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

Causes of the War - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 26, 2006 9:00 pm

Heh most countries are just flooded with the propaganda that says "Slavery was the caused Civil War" and all, but it's amazing what you can find out just by spending some time in a library.

IMHO, Books should be considered a true treasure to mankind.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 26, 2006 9:37 pm

It is propoganda. It's just too easy to simplify the war like that, that's why everyone clings to it.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 28, 2006 1:22 am

Man i am liking this conversation. I think you guys are all right. Slavery wasnt the cause of the war, but you could say it was A cause. One of many. And yes, slavery has been in exsistance for thousands of years. The south didnt start it, they just picked up on the routine. And even some of the northern states had slaves,even during the war, as someone posted earlier. But, one thing that stands out is that the north and south really didnt like each other at ALL. The north manufactered everything and the south was the source of crops,produce, many things that brought in a large revenue for the states. They were very dependant on each other at the time. In some important ways. They couldent live without each other, and they couldent live with each other. If you ask me it was a ticking time bomb. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Also maybe the fact the Lincoln was seven feet tall just creeped the southerns out. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 28, 2006 10:50 am

I don't believe some of the other countries prospective of the war. It was Constituition to succed. That's what one guy from Brazil said. I told him when he can provide evidence that it was part of the constitution, then he could say that. So far, he hasn't.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 28, 2006 5:24 pm

If you want evidence, you're going to be waiting a long time. Do you really think that the Constitutional Convention is going to include a "seccesion clause"? I can see it now:"Ya, y'all can leave this stupid government any ol' time ya wanna!" Razz Heck no. But one very important thing to remember when it comes to the constitution, is that the rights specified within it are by no means absolute and limiting. The Constitution does not specify the rights granted to the people, it specifies the constraints on government. The people already have their God-given rights as clarified in the Declaration of Independence, and by the principles of the Enlightenment. The whole point of the Constitution is to make sure that government has clear, known limits, so that it can not infringe on the rights of the people. The Constitutional Convention met to decide what powers to grant to the central, federal government; they were not at all concerned about limiting the powers of the states themselves. If not from the states, where does the federal government get its power from? Maintaining the soverign rights of the states was of utmost importance, and only behind protecting the rights of the people. Just one more thing; the Constitution is not of the nature 'You are only alowed to do what is on paper', not at all. The southern states felt they deserved the same natural rights, only as a group of collective individuals.
Can you show me a place in the Constitution that clearly says the original union of the states was of a permanent, eternal nature? I doubt you'll find one; can you imagine anything more naive than trying to bind a state that has just fought an 8-year war for its independence?
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 pm

Wonderfully said Jeb! (Stuart)
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 02, 2006 3:05 pm

thank you very much gen'ral! good to see you back
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2006 12:13 pm

I was going over a few causes in my head, and i was just curious why taxes wasnt put as a cause in the poll? After all it did play a part.
Back to top Go down
debski
Aministrator's Mommy
Aministrator's Mommy

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2006 12:16 pm

good point, when you concider that one reason for people leaving England was they didn't want to pay the heavy taxes they were under
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2006 12:56 pm

If you're talking about tarrifs, I suppose that would fit under "too many to count." But port taxes were a huge part of southern discontent; it played a major role in deciding the profits of exporting cotton and tobacco. The north wanted tarriffs high, since they were getting pretty industrialized and self-sufficient, so they had more importation. And naturally the south wanted them low because they were mainly an export-based economy.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Well, either way the North was able to pay for them. The South wasn't. Tarrifs were pretty much kicking the tar out of the North and they thought the South was getting fat off of thier tarrifs.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 10:59 am

I was looking through another civil war forum(dont worry guys just for some info on a few things posted by veterans of wwII and other's), and I found out that the south actually made the first move in the direction of war. South Carolina I believe it was, fired upon a union fort and thus started the plunge of the southern states into what's known as the civil war. S C had tried this previouslly(1832), and Jaskson backed them down with the threat of federal troops. That was about tarrifs. It seems to me that the South wanted federal protection without paying what was legally owed on both occasions. Except the second time they were whining about congress.rabbit
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 11:11 am

You just barely found that out? scratch
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 11:13 am

Iron Brigade General wrote:
You just barely found that out? scratch
Hey! I dont want to hear it. BESIDES there are people in this world who dont even know what a napkin is, like you IBG.afro
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 11:15 am

A napkin is a cloth or paper that is used to wipe your face with or snezze in it.Cool
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 11:16 am

Iron Brigade General wrote:
A napkin is a cloth or paper that is used to wipe your face with or snezze in it.Cool
You just looked it up i saw you.afro
Back to top Go down
coby
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
coby

Number of posts : 1542
Registration date : 2006-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 12:09 pm

No, I saw him look it up actully. lol! study
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 12:52 pm

coby wrote:
No, I saw him look it up actully. lol! study
See, Coby and I might no know everything about the CW, but we know eveything else.afro
Back to top Go down
coby
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
coby

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! study lol!
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 5:45 pm

Well Coby we have strayed of topic once again.No
Back to top Go down
coby
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
coby

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2006 7:58 am

looks like it, dosn't it.No
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2006 3:21 pm

Wellllllllll, causes causes causes. Hmmm. How about Preston Brooks:lol!:
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Oppie, you really killed this topic lol. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 10, 2006 3:46 pm

afro BACK ON TOPIC SLACKER!Evil or Very Mad

Eh hem, now then causes causes causes, hmmm, how about the claims for "states rights" some of which were just, others of which were completely ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
coby
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
coby

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2006 3:02 pm

hay, you're one of those slackers oppie, so I wouldn't be talking, even though you are a mod now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Causes of the War
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: The American Civil War :: Causes-
Jump to: