The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Causes of the War

Go down 
+6
Adrocles
debski
Iron Brigade General
NC1862
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Civility_C
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What were the Causes of the War?
Slavery
Causes of the War Vote_lcap15%Causes of the War Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Cultural diffrences
Causes of the War Vote_lcap23%Causes of the War Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Too many to count!
Causes of the War Vote_lcap38%Causes of the War Vote_rcap
 38% [ 5 ]
IT WASN'T SLAVERY!
Causes of the War Vote_lcap23%Causes of the War Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyFri Oct 13, 2006 4:47 pm

What do you think were some of the causes in the War for Southern Independace?
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySun Oct 15, 2006 7:04 pm

To powerful of a central government. (Which led to over taxation)
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
NC1862
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
NC1862

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-10-11

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 3:07 pm

There are many causes, states rights, the already too powerful central government, commerce, and of course everybody say it with me.....slavery.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 pm

Hm... I'd have to disagree with you there. Slavery wasn't the CAUSE of the civil war...
Back to top Go down
NC1862
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
NC1862

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Now Civ, did I come out and say that the whole war was fought over slavery and slavery alone? No. There are many other factors that caused the war, which some I listed in my post above.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Yes you're right. I apolgize
Back to top Go down
NC1862
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
NC1862

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 6:20 pm

Now one thing I found out, I dont know if everyone else does, is that the North had slaves before the south did.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 6:46 pm

yep yep. Some people say they had slaves even during the CW but I've got to do some more research before I can say thats true.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyMon Oct 16, 2006 9:52 pm

Yes the did. The states Missouri, Kentucky Maryland and Delaware all had slaves and werent technically Confederate states. (though Kentucky and Missouri had stars for their states on the Confederate Flag. If you read the Emancipation Proclamation carefully you will see that it only freed the slaves in the Confederate states and left the Northern slaves in bondage.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyTue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm

Yep. It did. I've got it memorized....
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyThu Oct 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Slavery wasn't the only cause of the Civil War, but, it can't be ruled out as a cause. Many of the northern soldiers believed that was why Mr. Lincoln was calling them to arms. One of the main reasons the South left the Union was because they felt Lincoln would take away their slaves. But, Lincoln only wanted slavery to stay in the areas it already exsisted, and not to extend to the West where the South was trying to push for the ability to have slaves.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
debski
Aministrator's Mommy
Aministrator's Mommy

Number of posts : 178

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 3:55 pm

Ok all you, there were slaves here before there was a United States, for example, the Spanish made slaves of the Aztec Indians after attacking them. There were slaves in Jamestown when John Smith came here to this country. They were usually Africans who had been stolen from their home and then shipped and sold to sailors, then people here bought bought them. Usually they were freed after the debt to pay their passage here was paid, but some lilked the "free" labor and wouldn't release them.

No matter who started slavery or where, it doesn't matter as much as the fact that slavery is wrong. That the people from any side had the idea that slavery was ok is dumb. But that is easy for us to say, we aren't living in those times.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 3:59 pm

No I never said it wasn't wrong. I never said anything about who started it. I'm just tired of people saying that if you have a confederate flag or something like that we're racist. You may not hear stuff like that a lot if you don't live here, but its everywhere. I have heard a politician from the north say that every Southerner who honors the Confedearcy was in the KKK. She hadn't even been to the south before!
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 6:18 pm

I'd like to hear about that story.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
debski
Aministrator's Mommy
Aministrator's Mommy

Number of posts : 178

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyFri Oct 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Yeah I was afraid you might have taken it that I thought you were in favor of it. I was just making the point that neither the north or the south started slavery. There are too many people who want to blame the other side. But it just wasn't like that. I think it is too bad that people think the southerners are all in the wrong. There is no thought like that here.
I know plenty of people from the south and quite frankly I fiind many more friendly than most anywhere. DOn't worry there is nothing wrong with the south that the west can't fix. ha ha thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 12:48 am

You just can't say one side is right and the other is wrong completely, this just applies to every conflicts history has seen so far.

I just think that you gotta hear what BOTH sides have to say in order to be really fair and be your own judge of what really happened.

That's just the reality of what happens in a War.

Everyone has their own reasons to fight.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 7:13 am

Like I said, I'm not the that Confedearcy was 100% right, nor the Union. I've read both side, I know what wrong the south did and the north did. I'm not one of those really scary "neo-confederate", as I've heard some people call them, but I also don't believe that the north was the Savior of every slave.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 1:08 pm

Adrocles wrote:
You just can't say one side is right and the other is wrong completely, this just applies to every conflicts history has seen so far.

I just think that you gotta hear what BOTH sides have to say in order to be really fair and be your own judge of what really happened.

That's just the reality of what happens in a War.

Everyone has their own reasons to fight.

Can you say the following without contradicing yourself.....?

The Germans werent wrong on every thing. The Allied Forces werent right on everything. The Allied forces were right and the Germans were wrong.

I believe you can.

With out contradicing myself can I say the following?

I dont believe the Confederates were right on every thing. I dont believe the Federals to be wrong on everything. I believe that the Confederates were right.

I believe can say all those thing and not be contradicting myself. will you tell me if Im right or not (on whether im contradicing myself or not)?
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 2:36 pm

Did you ever watch any videos of the Nuremberg trials?

You know? when just about every German Top-Commanders were to be prosecuted and judged...Except for Hitler and Goebbels, because they were already dead.

First there was Admiral Doenitz of the Kriegsmarine, who actually despised the Nazi party. Even Admiral Nimitz said that he had ordered the same things against the Japanese.

And the Soviet Red Army wasn't exactly the type to be forgiving against the Germans with Stalin around in Moscow, which was no surprise knowing that the Soviets had 20 millions people (Civilian and Military personnal) dead because of World War 2.

Not to mention a bunch of German top-Generals had actually tried to assassinate Hitler two or three times during the War.

There were at least TWO types of Commanders in Germany during World War 2.

Those who were only doing their duty as Military Commanders

Those who were playing lap-dogs with the Nazi Party.

Oh and pay a close attention to what Goering said during the Nuremberg trials
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 2:39 pm

UM.. don't want to be rude, but this is really off subject. Could we take this to one of the other sections? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Yeah I'm sorry about that.

Just wanted to make my point clear
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySat Oct 21, 2006 2:42 pm

No problem. I know its hard to stay on subject Laughing
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySun Oct 22, 2006 6:38 pm

So Adroceles, you dont believe one side is right one side is wrong?Question
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptySun Oct 22, 2006 9:00 pm

To answer your question I simply don't believe in that way of thinking when it comes to War.

There are always screw-ups both sides eventually do in just every war known to man.

In order to be fair, you just gotta know what was the story and both sides did, what were their reasons, what did they had to gain in the process.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War EmptyThu Oct 26, 2006 8:15 pm

What you guys aren't saying, is that while slavery wasn't THE cause of the Civil War, it created a difference, that created sectionalism, that created debate, arguement, and eventually hate within the nation. That said, I do not believe that slavery caused the war, and I call the emancipation proclamation Lincoln's cheap last-gasp effort to rally the support of the governments of Europe, as well as the people of the north.
I also believe the south was totally justified in its complaints against the north, and that they had a plausible argument when it came to the constitutionality of seccession.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Causes of the War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Causes of the War   Causes of the War Empty

Back to top Go down

Causes of the War
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: The American Civil War :: Causes-
Jump to: