The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Battle of Second Manassass

Go down 
+2
General Stuart
vindicator
6 posters

would the war have ended differently if Lee hadn't invaded the north?
Yes
Battle of Second Manassass Vote_lcap70%Battle of Second Manassass Vote_rcap
 70% [ 7 ]
No
Battle of Second Manassass Vote_lcap30%Battle of Second Manassass Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
vindicator
Artillary
Artillary
vindicator

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2006-11-10

Battle of Second Manassass Empty
PostSubject: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyMon Nov 27, 2006 3:34 pm

Critical point in the war, where Lincoln tried to combine two union armies and overwhelm Lee. It didn't work and Lee decided to take the war north for the first time. This culminated in the Battle of Antietam.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyThu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 pm

Why is everyone voting yes? If Lee had never taken the offensive, the South wouldn't have even had a chance of winning. They still would have lost over time through the process of attrition, because time, really, was their worst enemy.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyFri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm going to bring this back up since no one replied. Very Happy I really think that Lee played his cards right in taking the war north. How could the South have hoped to have won if they never took the offensive?
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyFri Dec 15, 2006 9:44 pm

you are right... BUT you didnt specify how the war might have ended differently.... Very Happy So I had to vote yes.... lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptySat Dec 16, 2006 2:28 am

It wouldent have, the north had the upper hand from the very begining, if Lee had hesitated it just would have given the north more time to prepare.

afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptySat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 pm

When it said, "ended differently", I took it to mean the South winning.
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptySat Dec 16, 2006 12:57 pm

About this, Lee was winning victories again and again, invading the North would have meant problems for Lee on the supply lines, and giving the Union a home advantage.

Why going on the offensive when you keep winning just about everytime? Too much casualties for the Union could have caused some European countries to step in on the Confederacy's side.

Either this or forcing Lincoln to sue for peace against the South or end it at least as a stalemate and getting major European countries to recognise the Confederacy.

Even a stalemate could have been seen as a political victory
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptySun Dec 17, 2006 2:51 pm

Like I said, time was the South's worst enemy. Of course, invading takes away the home-field advantage, but it gives you the initiative at the same time. Lee was winning offensive victories in Virginia, if he had been able to pull off one such victory on northern soil it would have meant the end of the war. And Grant's '64 campaign only proves that high casualties weren't anything of a detterent to the Northern adminadstration or a boost for the Confederacy abroad; Grant lost over 60,000 men in under two months, without producing a single victory, and yet kept his job. At this point, Lincoln wasn't thinking of suing for peace in his wildest dreams; the South's only hope on that note would have been McClellan's election in the Nov. '64 presidential contest. Of course, McClellan lost in a Republican sweep of the polls after the fall of Atlanta, Lincoln would stay in office, and the war would continue indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyMon Dec 18, 2006 8:09 am

1 month. May 6-June 3, 1864.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyMon Dec 18, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks IBG, but I knew that; notice I said "under two months". Very Happy It is commonly reffered to as "the Forty Days", which is of course a little more than one month and under two months. I chose the latter term. Sorry if I didn't state it clear enough. And by the way, the major fighting started in the Wilderness on May 5.

Last edited by on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyMon Dec 18, 2006 2:25 pm

Oh, I thought you said 2 months, not under 2 months. Embarassed My bad.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass EmptyFri Dec 22, 2006 9:55 pm

No problem. Who does everybody think performed better at Second Manassass, 'Stonewall' Jackson or James Longstreet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battle of Second Manassass   Battle of Second Manassass Empty

Back to top Go down

Battle of Second Manassass
Page 1 of 1