The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Separation of Church and State

Go down 
+3
Civility_C
DCCCfC aka General Lee
General Stuart
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Of course; but do you think it's possible to have a government run by people of Christian principles, without denying others their religious freedoms?

This is the form of government we have right now, but what with all the wackos going to extremes with their civil liberties lawsuits, it seems as though one side or the other will make sure such an arrangement will eventually fail. They're going so overboard with "protecting" their own rights that they're infringing upon others'. But of course, it's politically incorrect to say so. Very Happy

And thus, I feel like a lone voice in the wild.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 08, 2007 10:41 pm

YOU feel like a lone voice? HA. *laughs* I'm afraid you arent the one to be saying that Stuart Very Happy

I hate politics, lol.

Define religious freedom if you please.

afro
Back to top Go down
coby
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
coby

Number of posts : 1542
Registration date : 2006-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2007 8:11 am

Religious freedom allowing people to practicing there own religion how they see fit and not saying that is wrong for them to do that and saying they have to change there beliefs or they will be punished.
I hope thats right, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Thank you Coby, that's about right. The way I meant it is basically having a non-religious government and law system, and thereby not forcing others to conform with your own religious beliefs.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 pm

I take the 5th
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2007 5:47 pm

You mean you claim the 5th. Or plead. Take your pick. Very Happy But I wish you'd loosen up and share your opinion.
Back to top Go down
cwalenta999
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-04-22

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 22, 2007 9:01 am

Despite how it is interpreted today, the whole purpose of the doctrine of the separation of church and state was the fact that there were various Christian churches. The government would not be permitted to endorse any one of them. Of course, the doctrine still makes sense today. Despite a general prohibition against 'endorsing' a particular religion, the government is still permitted to 'accomodate' religious beliefs. This is why you still see X-Mas displays on public property, X-Mas decorations adorning Main Street shopping centers, and even chaplains in the military.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 7:49 pm

Originally of course, there never was a true "doctrine" concerning the separation of church and state... The entire idea comes from the writings of Thomas Jefferson. But this is exactly what makes it such a prime topic of open debate: we don't have a political precedent in our nation concerning any church, besides the 1st Amendment, which prohibits congress from making any law regarding such. However, we can also see the results of "religious" governments in Europe, which have such a major part in our nation's very existence.

And for those who believe that there cannot possibly be any wrong in ruling a nation by the Bible, please take into consideration I'm looking at this from the point of view that we are all humans: very much fallible and not at all perfect, or capable of interpreting and practicing God's word correctly 100% of the time. And furthermore, we're talking about politicians here. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2007 12:08 pm

I know that Theocracy is not really possibility for America right now, but I still want one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2007 12:15 am

Ok..I think I'm gona be sick...Lee....set him straight, please. for being banned from this forum, and supposedly never being here I am not able to sustain my own request you follow me?Very Happy

* OPPIE WAS NEVER HERE *
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Separation of Church and State   The Separation of Church and State - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Separation of Church and State
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2