The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?

Go down 
+7
enigma7patriot
coby
The Opposition
General Stuart
Civility_C
Iron Brigade General
DCCCfC aka General Lee
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2007 2:57 pm

So, can we NOW admit that he was in fact a terrorist general? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Not really. Evil or Very Mad I will stick by what I believe. I don't think he was a villan. Just a little misguided. We have had alot of evidence that alot of the stuff that happened was beyond his control. And, when you have thousands of bummers all over the place, no one would be able to round them all up. Believe what you want. I stick to what I believe to be right.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2007 3:05 pm

Did I not type out an entire transcript on the burning of a city right under Sherman's nose? Is there not documented proof that he saw his men pillaging a church, and only said "They had it coming"? And this is no villain? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Like I said, he was a misguided. Rolling Eyes Interpet the word 'misguided' as you will.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2007 3:11 pm

lol. Hard-headed yankees, you gotta love 'em. IBG, what would you do if you saw some guys burning down a church? Ok, now judge Sherman's actions as opposed to your own. I would hope you would be ashamed of yourself if you didn't do anything to stop men you saw desecrating a house of God. Now why wouldn't the same go for Sherman?
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Iron Brigade General wrote:
Like I said, he was a misguided. Rolling Eyes Interpet the word 'misguided' as you will.
Misguided he was indeed IBG, but being misguided does not change what you are or have become. But the circumstances and actions show that whether or not he was a villain before the war, that after what he had become, intentional or not, was in fact, a tyrant, terrorist general, misguided unionist, whatever you want to call it. What shows shows, no matter what Sherman believed he was in his heart, what was in his heart makes him what he was. And the heart is revealed through what you do, and the lifestyle you lead. Sorry IBG, but Stuart is in the clear on this one.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 8:03 am

One year cannot condemn a man to a lifetime of spite and hatred. And, really Sheridan did pretty much the same thing. Why does everyone tear down Sherman when Sheridan did the same thing?
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Ofcourse it cant, only certain actions can do that. Please dont think that I have any malice for Sherman, this is just what he appears to be to me. And I'm afraid I cant answer that question, for I dont know who Sheridan is. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 5:52 pm

IBG, about the Sheridan/Sherman comparison, Sheridan was only a cavalry commander who though may have committed war crimes comparable to Sherman's, was in such a position of rank as to not draw all responsibility for his actions. Most of his 'scandals' occurred while on raids that were ordered and authorized by the army commander, and being in the cavalry corps practically gave him an free pass, since that branch of the army's job was, raiding and looting.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Besides IBG, this thread is for Sherman, if it were for Sheridan we'd try rip him apart too. Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 am

Whatever. Rolling Eyes So, anyways, does anyone know Sherman's policy towards the indians? I know Sheridan's was kill them all, but, I can't find anything on Sherman's opinion. All I can find really on him that really stood out after the CW was his rise to Luitenant General and his unwillingness to be president.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2007 11:09 am

Umm, If I read correctly Sherman wasnt to fond of indians either. Very Happy He had quite a few campaings against them, in which he promptly sluaghtered a bunch of buffalo to defeat a group of plains indians Smile . Basically he conducted the same strategy in his march on the sea.

But, here is something Sherman wrote in a persanol letter, nothing incented meant, just something to ponder.

I confess, without shame, that I am sick and tired of fighting—its glory is all moonshine; even success the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies, with the anguish and lamentations of distant families, appealing to me for sons, husbands, and fathers ... it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation.[51]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?   Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general? - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sherman a Hero or a Terorist general?
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14