The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)

Go down 
+3
The Opposition
Iron Brigade General
judsonwatkins
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
judsonwatkins
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
judsonwatkins

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-01-07

Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 3:33 pm

did ya'll see this on the petition...how cool is that:shock:

annie macgregor
Happy 200th Birthday Robert E. Lee. Let's commemorate one of the finest men in US history by tearing down his statue! I live in New Zealand by the way where we are good at history. The world is watching.
Back to top Go down
http://etbrigade.proboards106.com/
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 4:13 pm

There, I signed it. I'm signature #70. Thanks for providing the link and calling our attention to this issue, Judson.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 4:53 pm

I've been looking forward Lee's 200th birthday for a long time. (for me it is hard to believe that it was only 200 years ago)
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Oppie, if you are in fact related to R.E. Lee by marriage, then you would also be related to the Washingtons, but by marriage of course. If I remember right, Lee's mother was a direct relation of Martha Dandrige Custis, later Mrs. Washington.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 5:14 pm

Correct Stuart. I'm going to delete the other topic on this in Civil War Battles.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 5:16 pm

The one you created? Ok.
Back to top Go down
judsonwatkins
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
judsonwatkins

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 6:04 pm

I received this by email from an art historian and curator of the PPHM in Texas. Coppini (mentioned below) sculted the statues.

Quote :
Dear Judson:

Additional research on the Littlefield Memorial has revealed that not only were the four Confederate sculptures part of the original plan, but the sculptures of Governor Jim Hogg and President Woodrow Wilson were also part of the plan.

Major George W. Littlefield, who funded the memorial, originally wanted it to be a Confederate memorial only. However, the sculpture, clearly seeing the specter of political correctness looming as early as 1919, convinced Littlefield that a Confederate memorial at UT would "be resented as keeping up the hatred between the Northern and Southern states," while a memorial to UT boys "who died so that American democracy might spread all over the world." Coppini felt World War I proved "that all past regional differences [had] disappeared and that we are now one welded nation." But he also saw the merit in Littlefield's wanting to "honor the leaders you most admire as America's great men." Coppini saw the fountain as "symbolic of the perpetual flowing of American patriotism and American enlightenment."

Originally, Coppini had the figures of presidents Wilson and Davis standing against columns, flanking the fountain. Then Hogg and Reagan on one side of the fountain and Lee and Johnston on the other. During construction, UT's architect moved the sculptures to where they stand now.

Respectfully,

Michael
Back to top Go down
http://etbrigade.proboards106.com/
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 6:40 pm

Very interesting, thanks for providing that.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2007 8:02 am

Yes. I agree with Stuart. Quiet intresting. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 2:39 pm

If only I could have helped, this topic had been missed by me, and not only that, since I m north of the northern border, I d be out of line by butting in, unless that kind of vote was opened to foreigners.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)   Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Military Statues in Danger (You Can Help)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2