The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greatest unit of the war

Go down 
+4
dvd
Iron Brigade General
Civility_C
General Stuart
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

What was the greatest unit of the war?
Hood's Texas Brigade
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 5 ]
the Iron Brigade
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 5 ]
the Stonewall Brigade
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap24%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 4 ]
1st Minnesota
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
20th Maine
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
the Irish Brigade
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Hay's Tigers
 0% [ 0 ]
Armistead's Brigade
 0% [ 0 ]
Barksdale's Mississippians
 0% [ 0 ]
The Orphan Brigade
Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2006 4:38 pm

Very Happy Did you really think I was mad GS? Wow, I got you better then I thought. Actually, I wasn't mad. I just wanted to tease you (for a want for a better word) when you said that it seemed I didn't know what I was talking about. Actually, I'll tell you what. I got James McPherson's e-mail and have been sending e-mails to him (he has replied to me). I am going to e-mail him and ask him what he thinks on the TB. otherwise, I stand by my guns.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Very Happy No hard feelings IBG lol! How did you get his email? And when you do write him, ask him to compare the TB and the IB for you.

P.S.: thanks for the intervention debski lol! I almost half-expected IBG to ask for satisfaction (a duel) in his next post! haha

lol!

EDIT: sorry for the double-post, I had no idea that happened
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2006 6:23 pm

One thing I learned from this, is you can't deny that men from the west were just better fighters.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2006 10:05 am

I have connections. Wink
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm

I didn't ask him to compare the TB with the IB, but, I did ask about the TB and if he thought it was the best. And here is the result. Here is his e-mail (part):

James M. McPherson:

Quote :
The Texas Brigade was a good outfit, though you may be right that some of their successes occurred when the enemy was tired. I'm not
sure whether you could call their couinterattacks at Antietam a success--not a complete one, in any case.

So, he only said that it was good outfit. You can't argue with the authority. And, no. I won't give you his e-mail. This is my little thing. But I will give you a clue on how to find it. Just look where he goes.

Cheers. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2006 7:40 pm

well, I didn't know that I asked for it.....lol

Anyway, you asked him a loaded question, and what did you say that made him specifically mention Antietam? Suspect Antietam wasn't a full-blown Confederate victory in the first place, and secondly, like I said before, Hood's charge was not meant to take and hold the cornfield, but to drive back the union I Corps wave and give Jackson time to reform his line and call for reinforcements. It definitely wasn't a 'victory' by itself....but it more than succeeded in its mission.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 21, 2006 7:58 am

Well, that is what the proff. said. I ain't telling any more then he said.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Ok, all he said was that, "you MAY be right that SOME of their successes occurred when the enemy was tired." That doesn't necessarily prove your point at all. And he understates by saying "the Texas Brigade was a good outfit." Honestly..... Very Happy They were the best outfit in the most legendary army of the war.....doesn't that say anything? And he says they're good....Laughing
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 21, 2006 2:28 pm

Good does not mean they were the best. He could say that about any unit. And, seriously, he only gives me facts, not opinions. Never has before.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 am

oh, okay......but what I meant was that he understated by calling the TB "good"....
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2006 10:34 am

Depends on your view of what is great and not great too. I admit, the Texas Brigade accomplished alot, even if some of it's success is owe to bad mistakes on the Federal side, and the fact that they were fresh and the enemy wasn't alot of times.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2006 1:17 pm

They were Lee's Old Guard. Their battle record was incomparable...even if much thanks was due to the Union high command Very Happy
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 26, 2006 1:49 pm

But, IBG, you're being unfair. Aren't most victories won because someone, somewhere, made some type of error?
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2006 9:14 am

Yep. They are. Like Waterloo.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2006 4:53 pm

And like almost every other battle ever documented. Thank you for admitting that. Now, just because the Texas Brigade would take advantage of those mistakes, doesn't mean they were lesser soldiers than their record would make out. Not at all. Those are the fortunes of war.
Back to top Go down
Rebel thunder
Artillary
Artillary

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 6:44 am

Leavbing the Missouri Brigade out of the poll is a shame. They did wonders at Champion's Hill, Franklin, etc.

But the Texans got my vote because of Mechanicsville, Antietam and the Wilderness--they weren't shabby at Gettysburg either.
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 9:56 am

The only one I know about is the 20th Maine, and the only stuff I know about those guys came from the Gettysburg Movie.

After all those guys had taken, they still went to fight, and they prevent the Union from falling against Lee.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 2:01 pm

Rebel thunder wrote:
Leavbing the Missouri Brigade out of the poll is a shame. They did wonders at Champion's Hill, Franklin, etc.

But the Texans got my vote because of Mechanicsville, Antietam and the Wilderness--they weren't shabby at Gettysburg either.

Sorry, Reb, but when I put the poll together, I quickly realized I had alot more Confederate units to choose from than Federal ones. Very Happy But I agree, they could have made the list easily.
Back to top Go down
Rebel thunder
Artillary
Artillary

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2007 4:51 am

Thanks for explaining. I know it's tough choice in a limited space poll, I could think of other possible units also.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2007 11:31 am

I think we all could.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Greatest unit of the war
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3