The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greatest unit of the war

Go down 
+4
dvd
Iron Brigade General
Civility_C
General Stuart
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

What was the greatest unit of the war?
Hood's Texas Brigade
Greatest unit of the war Vote_lcap29%Greatest unit of the war Vote_rcap
 29% [ 5 ]
the Iron Brigade
Greatest unit of the war Vote_lcap29%Greatest unit of the war Vote_rcap
 29% [ 5 ]
the Stonewall Brigade
Greatest unit of the war Vote_lcap24%Greatest unit of the war Vote_rcap
 24% [ 4 ]
1st Minnesota
Greatest unit of the war Vote_lcap0%Greatest unit of the war Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
20th Maine
Greatest unit of the war Vote_lcap6%Greatest unit of the war Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
the Irish Brigade
 0% [ 0 ]
Hay's Tigers
 0% [ 0 ]
Armistead's Brigade
 0% [ 0 ]
Barksdale's Mississippians
 0% [ 0 ]
The Orphan Brigade
Greatest unit of the war Vote_lcap12%Greatest unit of the war Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

Greatest unit of the war Empty
PostSubject: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySat Nov 04, 2006 9:31 pm

This could be a great poll; if anyone thinks that I should have included any other unit in the poll go ahead and post. For me, I'm going to go with Hood's Texans. They were some of the best shock troops ever seen in history, and never failed Lee throughout the war.

There are alot of options, but every one of those units did something to win them eternal glory at some point during the war. Ok, have fun.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySun Nov 05, 2006 6:10 pm

How bout the Orphan Brgade?
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySun Nov 05, 2006 6:22 pm

Evil or Very Mad You know, I was just reading about Missionary Ridge last night, and I could have kicked myself when the Orphan Brigade came up! Actually, by the end, I was scrounging for more Union units to put in the survey, they were pretty outnumbered. But you're right. Am I able to alter the survey to fit them in?
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySun Nov 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Um.. I think so. Go to edit post and see. I'm pretty sure you can add more answers

Edit: Ther you go Stuart! That should do it. Now I can vote Wink
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySun Nov 05, 2006 6:38 pm

thanks! And someone voted for the Stonewall Brigade. Good choice, but they never did much without old "Stonewall".
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySun Nov 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Yeah you've got a point....Laughing
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptySun Nov 05, 2006 6:54 pm

but, maybe they were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 11:22 am

Iron Brigade all the way! In thier very first action they couldn't be driven back by all Stonewall could and did do. And, they gave more then they got! They were so feared by the rebels that at Gettysburg, the rebels cried "There's those @#$@ Black Hats again!" SIngle handeldly, they drove a rebel brigade/regiment (I'm not quiet sure how big the force was) from a railroad cut. At Antietam, they sent the Stonewall Brigade reeling! Again, Iron Brigade all the way.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 3:14 pm

um, sorry to have to shatter your dream, IBG, but the iron brigade was not "feared" by the rebels. And, ahem, it was Hood's Texans who sent the Iron Brigade "reeling" at Antietam.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 4:18 pm

I meant respected, not feared. And, the Iron Brigade was sent reeling after Stonewall Brigade was sent reeling.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 4:24 pm

the only thing you forgot to mention was that the Stonewall Brigade was sent reeling by Hookers entire CORPS! And I voted for Hood's Texas Brigade, so, I win lol.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 4:38 pm

tongue And who may I ask was at the head of the assualt? The IB.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 4:43 pm

And even the famous westerners couldn't stand up to the men from Texas. (Did I fail to mention that the Iron Brigade outnumbered the Texas Brigade?) And not only did Hood's 750 Texans drive back the IB, but also Hookers whole corps (10 times their number), the finest in McClellan's army. I really don't see how you can even compare anything to the Texans.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 4:52 pm

They were crazy devils I might add. They were forced out of thier first warm meal. If they were under regular situation, one can only wonder what woul;d have happened.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyMon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Lol, ya, owe it to their anger, whatever. True, they were just preparing their first hot meal in days when Jackson called on Hood to throw his division at Hooker. Hunger definitely had something to do with it. Very Happy
But either way, they were some of the best fighting men ever seen on this earth.

Ok, for the people who voted for the Stonewall Brigade, just keep in mind that they did have one or two embarrassing moments during the war (think of Spotsylvania). Then remember that the boys from Texas never failed Lee. Ever. And only did above and beyond what was asked of them.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyTue Nov 07, 2006 7:50 am

I will say this, Hood was the best brigade of Lee and Iron Brigade was the Best unit of the union. Simple as that. Do you want to know why? Because, both commands came strictly from the west.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyTue Nov 07, 2006 4:54 pm

ya, GO WEST. But face it, when they went one-on-one with each other, THE TEXANS WON. Ha
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyTue Nov 07, 2006 4:59 pm

ANd you know what I say to that? Fiddlesticks! Their leader didn't know when to stay put and got his arm and leg blown off.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyTue Nov 07, 2006 5:13 pm

Fiddlesticks? Just because you have problems facing up to the facts? lol You KNOW I'm right. Up to the end of the war, there was not a single unit that could touch those guys' record. And yes, they did send the Iron Brigade reeling! lol
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyWed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 am

Then, the Iron brigade came back and sent them packing and heading south to Dixie(or at least to Dunken Church). Don't argue with me. I am the Admin and I am always right!(even if I am wrong about this, which I am not). If not, I would have you banned for your misguided loyalties.Wink Actually, this has turned out to be a very intresting discussion.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyWed Nov 08, 2006 11:12 pm

The Iron Brigade was only able to reform because they fell back on supports, of which the Texans had none. Anyway, thanks for posting that other thing about this.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyThu Nov 09, 2006 7:51 am

Did you find it intresting:?: I hope so. I actually didn't remember about the brigades that came up to help the Texans. Anyways, either way, they were both good units.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyThu Nov 09, 2006 3:51 pm

I keep telling you, the Texans were elite. Very Happy

And about the extra brigades, Mumma Farm is quite a distance from Dunker Church, so any support brigades coming from their would not have much effect on the attack being staged by the Texans. Early's brigade attacked the West Woods, which is almost the same distance in the opposite direction. Hood's men were alone in their majorly successful charge.

You want to know what I find amusing about Antietam, or at least the fighting in Jackson's front? Repeatedly that morning, a union CORPS attacks, and is driven back immediately by a confederate DIVISION, or in other words, half as many men. This was the case with Hood's division, McClaus's division, Ransom's oversized brigade, etc. If that doesn't say something for the southern fighting man, I don't know what does.

Last edited by on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyThu Nov 09, 2006 5:40 pm

They could give alot of support in this way, they could keep pressure away from the Cornfield and away from the Texas Brigade.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war EmptyThu Nov 09, 2006 10:58 pm

Even if you were right, it would have meant a one-on-one slugfest between the Texans and the IB. And look who won lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest unit of the war   Greatest unit of the war Empty

Back to top Go down

Greatest unit of the war
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next