The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sherman's March ot the Sea

Go down 
+6
coby
Civility_C
The Opposition
General Stuart
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Iron Brigade General
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:05 pm

And how do we know this site has valid information.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:09 pm

It's pathetic how desperate you are Oppie! Laughing

I'll tell you what, we'll know that the info is invalid WHEN YOU CAN STATE FACTS TO THE CONTRARY!!!! Happy? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:22 pm

Nope. afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 pm

Don't worry about it, sometime later on when you can calm down and relax, you'll realize that I've been right all along. But don't worry about that either, because it's never too late to see the light! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:36 pm

Then LOOK. Away,away,away,away, North to D.C!!!!!

afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:41 pm

Don't deny the truth oppie. I took the time and effort to provide facts, so the least you can do is acknowledge them.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:44 pm

AS what, unproven letters on a page? Alright. afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Oppie, read it again, and realize that 97% of the following statements (besides mine naturally) are quotes by inhabitants of the city and union soldiers, officers and generals present at the time and scene of the atrocity. These are facts. I repeat: these are FACTS provided by eyewitnesses, the closest we'll ever get to knowing what it was really like. Enjoy.

General Stuart wrote:
I have already tried to state the facts of the matter in my own words, but some of us are quite heard-headed, and, like I said before, only believe what they see in print. (published) So, here is a transcript I found quite available online; a few people claimed that I wasn't providing enough facts to support my arguements, but if these same people had really wanted to find the facts, they could have just Googled Sherman's march, because it's all right there, people. (the only -yankee- person I can't say this applies to is IBG, since I know that he does take the pains to research, he's just misguided. jk) So, since y'all didn't want to either accept the truth when I presented it or go and research yourselves, I'm bringing it all here. Don't mind me if these next posts are kind of long. Very Happy

“The discipline of the soldiers, upon their first entry into the city, was perfect and most admirable. There was no disorder or irregularity on the line of march, showing that their officers had them completely in hand. They were a fine looking body of men, mostly young and of vigorous formation, well clad and shod, seemingly wanting for nothing…But, if the entrance into town and while on duty, was indicative of admirable drill and discipline, such ceased to be the case the moment the troops were dismissed.”— Columbia resident James Gibbes76
“This city was full of whisky and wine, and the colored people who swarmed the streets, set it out on the sidewalks by the barrel with the heads knocked in and tin cups provided; bottles and demijohns were passed liberally to the troops passing through the city to camp quarters.”—Private John C. Arbuckle77
As General Howard, whose troops were in charge of the city, established headquarters in a house near the university and went to sleep, General Sherman occupied a house not far away on the east side of town.78 Both were some distance from the troops who had taken over the streets of the city.
Until now Columbia residents had hoped that their fate would be much like Savannah’s where there had been no great destruction of personal property.79 That hope quickly faded in the afternoon hours.
“Our first trouble came about an hour after the entrance, when two horsemen rode into the yard, and came into the house, saying they had come to look for arms….they ransacked the house and helped themselves to all the small things they fancied.…At last they rode off, assuring us that they would call again. ”—Harriott H. Ravenel80
“About 2 to 3 P.M. the soldiers began breaking into the stores and banks…the plunder and destruction of valuable property was beyond description…I was passing the Bank of Charleston and the Commercial Bank of Columbia and found a squad of about fifty soldiers breaking them open and loading themselves with silver to the extent of their ability to carry….Every store in the city was sacked…there was a marked air of absence from all restraint and control.”— James Gibbes81
Out of fear for their property, residents began requesting Union guards for their homes and many were granted their requests.82 Even the Ursuline Convent on Main Street, after repeated personal assurances of safety by Sherman and just as adamant warnings of doom by Union soldiers, finally requested and received guards from the general.83
Although neither Sherman nor his officers issued orders for the firing of the city,84 some Union soldiers warned residents that Columbia would be burned and even described how rockets would signal for the destruction to begin.85
“Towards night, crowds of our escaped prisoners, soldiers, and negroes… were parading the streets in groups.”—David Conygham86

Part 4
At dark, the night of terror began. As the signal officers of Sherman’s divisions shot off rockets in standard practice to show their locations, fires began to break out all over the city and neighborhoods.87 Soldiers carried pots and vessels of turpentine, kerosene or other flammable liquid in which they dipped balls of cotton, lit them and flung the fire balls over and under houses.88 The troops charged with patrolling the streets did nothing to stop the rioting.89
“The streets were crowded with murdering groups of demons from all the corps in the army.”—David Conyngham 90
“The boys…were spreading the conflagration by firing the city in a hundred places.”—Captain S.H.M. Byers91
“Universal license to burn and plunder was the order of the day.” —Union Officer Thomas G. Myers92
“Such an awful sight! The…street filled with a throng of men, drunken, dancing, shouting, cursing wretches, every one bearing a tin torch or a blazing lightwood knot. The sky so dark a half hour before, was already glowing with light, and flames were rising in every direction.”—Harriott H. Ravenel93
Sherman, who had just finished supper at his headquarters, stepped out into the yard, “saw the darkness lit up with the lurid hue of conflagration” and remarked, “They have brought it on themselves.”94
Generals Howard and Hazen went quickly into the streets ordering soldiers to help fight the fire. Sherman joined them much later in the effort.95
“True, Generals Sherman, Howard, and others were out giving instructions for putting out a fire in one place, while a hundred fires were lighting all round them. How much better would it have been had they brought in a division or brigade of sober troops, and cleared out the town, even with steel and bullet!”—David Conyngham96
The fierce wind, which had been blowing since about two that afternoon, was helping to spread the fire, making “a tornado of flame”. Most efforts to stop the fire were futile.97 However, the area around General Howard’s headquarters, including the buildings on the college campus being used as hospitals, was saved by the work of Union soldiers and hospital workers.98
Pillaging continued throughout the city. Women and men, black and white were robbed of their valuables at gun and knife point.99 Black women were raped.100
Soldiers pulled children about their beds while plunging long knives repeatedly between them into the mattresses looking for hidden treasures.101 Outside, hundreds of men were “probing the ground with their bayonets or iron ramrods, searching for buried treasures.”102
“Such a scene…drunken soldiers, rushing from house to house, emptying them of their valuables, and then firing them…”—David Conyngham103
“A crowd had burst in and … spread themselves over everything, and from that time until morning a roaring stream of drunkards poured thought the house, plundering and raging, and yet in a way curiously civil and abstaining from personal insult.”—Harriott H. Ravenel104
The streets were now also full of terrified women, children and old men seeking safety in the park, lunatic asylum and other open places to avoid the “devouring fire”.105
“Many wandered about wringing their hands and crying; some sat stolid and speechless in the street watching everything that they had go to destruction.” –Captain S.H.M. Byers106
“Shrieks, groans, and cries of distress resounded from every side. Men, women, and children, some half naked, as they rushed from their beds, were running frantically about.”—David Conyngham107
“It was a most fearful night…The illumination was more brilliant than I am able to describe…Not only the glare of the flames, but the millions of sparks and cinders that filled the air all helped to make an illumination that far surpassed the brightness of day….The storm of fire…raged with unabated fury.”—James Gibbes108
At about 11 p.m., the students and most of the nuns at the Ursuline Convent fled to a nearby church. “We marched through the blazing streets with the precision of a military band….Father O’Connell led the procession, a crucifix held high above his head. The main body of nuns followed…then the pupils, the smaller between the larger for protection. Not a cry; not a moan. Even the drunken soldiers seemed silenced for a little while by this grand sight of Church triumphing over War! The roaring of the fire, the scorching flames on either side as we marched down Blanding Street…”—Sara Aldrich Richardson109
Midnight came and a brigade of Union troops south of the city was finally sent into the streets to arrest disorderly soldiers and citizens. About 2500 men were arrested “including officers of nearly every grade…”110 Because he did not have a pass, even Captain Byers, who had been helping a family escape the fire, was taken into custody.111 Other soldiers, like Private Abruckle who was aiding citizens in the streets reach safety, were allowed to remain in the city to help.112
Yet, the pillaging and burning continued by men “ruder and fiercer.”113
The guards assigned to the Ursuline Convent began their own rampage of the building forcing the remaining nuns to leave. “Fire was falling so thick that it burned the veils and dresses of the nuns on their way to join their sisters in the graveyard” of the church nearby.114
“About two o’clock in the morning, the house behind ours, and the one across the street, burnt down, and ours seemed in such danger that we took the four little children, whom we had kept in bed, and my mother took them across the street into the academy square, where many burnt-out people had taken refuge.”—Harriott H. Ravenel115
About 3 a.m., the cross above the Convent fell116 and an hour later the winds subsided.117 Then with the light, reveille sounded and the soldiers remaining in the city immediately returned to their ranks.118

Part 5
“The 18th of February dawned upon a city of ruins…Nothing remained but the tall, spectre-looking chimneys. The noble-looking trees that shaded the streets, the flower gardens that graced them, were blasted and withered by fire. The streets were full of rubbish, broken furniture and groups of crouching, desponding, weeping, helpless women and children….That long street of rich stores, the fine hotels, the court-houses, the extensive convent buldings, and last the old capitol, where the order of secession was passed…were all in one heap of unsightly ruins and rubbish.” –David Conyngham119
“Groups of men, women, and children were gathered in the streets and squares, huddled together over a trunk, a mattress, or a bundle of clothes.” –Major George Ward Nichols120
“The city was a scene of smoldering ruin.”—Private John C. Arbuckle121
“Around the charred ruin of their homes were grouped whole families, mourning and weeping over the terrible desolation. Who could see it and not feel that Justice had been avenged in this great curse on the city.”—Captain S.H.M. Byers122
“The truth is, last night our men got beyond our control.” –General Oliver Howard123
“I have never doubted that Columbia was deliberately set on fire in more than a hundred places.”—General William B. Hazen124
On the morning of February 20, Sherman’s army marched out of Columbia leaving behind 500 head of cattle in poor condition to feed the 7000 remaining residents.125 All public property surviving the fire had been destroyed except for the new capitol under construction, which Major George Ward Nichols thought was because it was such a beautiful work of art.126 “The capital building is far from completion, but, if ever finished, it will be the most beautiful architectural creation in this country.”127
Leaving with Sherman were thousands of refugees. “Old men, women and children, blacks and whites, rich and poor, on foot, with packs of every conceivable kind.”128
Private John C. Arbuckle--“In the parks and other vacant places were gathered multitudes of the destitute and homeless. Truly it was a scene of appalling distress and suffering…As our columns went by, the people gave vigorous expression to their desire for revenge, hissed and hooted, called us vile names, swore at us, spit upon us, not a few of the women undertook to lay violent hands upon us. While we could not seriously blame them for their abusive words and acts, being mainly innocent sufferers; nevertheless, here was the spot where they had sown the wind, and now at last had come the whirlwind.”129
Major George Ward Nichols--“Columbia will have bitter cause to remember the visit of Sherman’s army. Even if peace and prosperity soon return to the land, not in this generation nor the next—no, not for a century—can this city or the state recover from the deadly blow which has taken its life. It is not alone in the property that has been destroyed…that the most blasting, withering blow has fallen. It is in the crushing downfall of their inordinate vanity, their arrogant pride, that the rebels will feel the effects of the visit of our army.”130
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 3:59 pm

Are you kidding me I'm not reading all that!!!! afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 4:03 pm

I read all of that last night, and more, so the least you can do is read it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 pm

So far, I have provided first-hand and eye-witness accounts of Sherman's men -NOT bummers- raping white and black women. It's time for Oppie to own up.
Back to top Go down
debski
Aministrator's Mommy
Aministrator's Mommy

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 5:42 pm

Wow that was an impressive bunch of posts. Well worth the reading and I think if someone takes the time to post it, that people could take the time to read it. I found it to be good, harsh, and quite interesting. Before people start getting upset they ought to know why they are upset.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 6:18 pm

General Stuart wrote:
I read all of that last night, and more, so the least you can do is read it! Very Happy
I will read it as soon as I have time Stuart. afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2006 10:08 pm

debski wrote:
Wow that was an impressive bunch of posts. Well worth the reading and I think if someone takes the time to post it, that people could take the time to read it. I found it to be good, harsh, and quite interesting. Before people start getting upset they ought to know why they are upset.

Thank you so much debski. I'm glad you found it interesting reading, I sure did... At least now I know one person (besides me) read them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 12:36 am

study ...........................................................study
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 8:05 am

Reading it will do some good around here.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 12:55 pm

Doesn't anyone have any comments on it yet? Very Happy (besides debski of course)

I'm waiting Oppie.
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Im waiting too Oppie... Btw Ive read about the Roswell Mills before. Very good proof to use against yankee opposition and yankee Oppie... lol Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 6:32 pm

Well I read it, and, I must say, that has some revealing info, but, like most transcrips, easily misread.

(No comment)Laughing

afro
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 8:15 pm

I think that we should call Oppie, "slick oppie" cause he always trys to get out of the truth. Ok Oppie if we misread that info show us how we did it. Very Happy If you cant do that then you cant say we misread it...
Your Friend General Lee
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 10:07 pm

I got a better name, Gen. Lee: Chicken Oppie. Very Happy Oppie, how on God's green earth can somebody misread a QUOTE??? Very Happy You basically already admitted that I proved my point, Oppie, by saying it was revealling. So don't go back and contradict yourself by saying that it was misread. BTW, what is it with you and "misreading"? How could I have misread the contents of this transcript if I haven't even posted my opinion on it yet? Laughing You're basically saying that you don't want to believe what is so obviously proven with facts in the transcript. So, keep your promise now and "drop Sherman like a sack of corn." Whatever that means. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2006 11:21 pm

General Stuart wrote:
I got a better name, Gen. Lee: Chicken Oppie. Very Happy Oppie, how on God's green earth can somebody misread a QUOTE??? Very Happy You basically already admitted that I proved my point, Oppie, by saying it was revealling. So don't go back and contradict yourself by saying that it was misread. BTW, what is it with you and "misreading"? How could I have misread the contents of this transcript if I haven't even posted my opinion on it yet? Laughing You're basically saying that you don't want to believe what is so obviously proven with facts in the transcript. So, keep your promise now and "drop Sherman like a sack of corn." Whatever that means. Very Happy
Umm, by biast oppinion. And I simply said that it was easily misread, not that you misread it(as of yet Very Happy ). And revealing doesnt neccesarily mean for your better sir, I am NOT contradicting myself. Suspect And stop trying to blind people with your flashy word usage, it is very bothersome. afro
Chicken Oppie, BAH, what a groundless claim. grant
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2006 8:18 am

Misread a quote?!Shocked How could you? hehe.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2006 12:49 pm

IBG YOU STAY OUT OF THIS!! afro bounce
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2006 1:43 pm

Oppie, I'm just trying to prove a point, and I think I succeeded. However, you seem to be having a difficult time admitting it.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sherman's March ot the Sea   Sherman's March ot the Sea - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sherman's March ot the Sea
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: The American Civil War :: Civil War Battles-
Jump to: