The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River Empty
PostSubject: Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River   Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River EmptyTue Oct 24, 2006 4:30 pm

This was the biggest massacre in the history of Indian Wars. Just days after the Emancipation Proclamation, General Conner took about 400 Cavalry troopers from Utah up to Bear River (in modern day Idaho) and attacked an encampment of about 400 Indians. 200 were warriors that for two hours held off the assualts by the superior foe. While the attacks were going, the indians kept saying in english "Come on you Californian sons of----!"
They ran out of ammo after a while and as they were fleeing, scout Porter Rockwell led about 100 cavalry troopers armed with Henry Reapeting rifles to the other side of this pass the Indians were defending and ambushed them. Only 30 out of the 400 Indians were spared. The reason why it didn't make the newspapers as a big deal was it was right after the Emancipation Proclamation.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River   Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River EmptyTue Oct 24, 2006 4:38 pm

It was a real tragedy, some of these Indians were just women and kids.

I already met a bunch of Indians in my life, most of them were really friendly and generous as long as you were honnest with them.

There's also an Indian settlement in my hometown, it's known as the Huron Village.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River   Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River EmptySun Oct 29, 2006 3:13 pm

I've never heard about this before, but I'm not from Idaho. Was this a warring tribe of Indians? Even so, Indians shouldn't exactly expect much mercy. Idea
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River   Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River EmptySun Oct 29, 2006 6:30 pm

I believe it was Cheyenne. I'll have to look it up.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River   Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River EmptySun Oct 29, 2006 6:40 pm

There you go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River   Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River Empty

Back to top Go down

Idaho Battles 1: Massacre at Bear River
Page 1 of 1