The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Rivalry for supreme power

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

The Rivalry for supreme power Empty
PostSubject: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyThu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 pm

RIght before Ceaser rose to power, he had to fight Pompi, the other council of Rome. One of the most extrodinary fight was when Ceaser surrounded Pompi's army and besiged it. It went on so long that the troops under Ceaser ran out of food and began eating grass. Pompi when he found this out had to order his officers to keep quit about this so the troops wouldn't get demoralized.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 1:00 am

Now that's an intresting bit of info right there.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyFri Oct 27, 2006 1:37 pm

I believe I read the info in Ghosts and Soldiers. A very intresting read on Ancient Warfare.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptySat Oct 28, 2006 12:21 am

Yeah? I'll have to look into that.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptySat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm

Hold on, why would the fact that Caesar's men were eating grass demoralize Pompi's army?
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptySun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 pm

All it takes for someone to be disgraced is strong opposing points of view with another person. There could have been many reasons. But ti's not ahrd to comprehend.........maybe for you Stuart...................lol Jk.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 11:16 am

The determination. Anyone who would eat grass to fight would make any proffesion soldier freak out.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyMon Oct 30, 2006 4:59 pm

OK, got it. I assumed that Caesar was only keeping his men there by sheer force and intimidation, which would seem to be a morale boost to the opposing army. I misunderstood.

Last edited by on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyThu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm

General Stuart wrote:
OK, got in. I assumed that Caesar was only keeping his men there by sheer force and intimidation, which would seem to be a morale boost to the opposing army. I misunderstood.
It's ok we forgive you.afro
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyFri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 pm

I really don't know that much about it, but I read that one of Caesar's most brilliant victories was in Gaul, when he besieged this castle for some time, before he himself was besieged by a relief force of Celts. He made two lines of defense, one facing inwards, and one facing outwards, much like Grant's positions at Vicksburg, though Grants never had to defend against a real relief force. Caesar actually was able to force the besieged town to capitulate, before he himself was forced to capitulate to the relief army surrounding his, thereby earning one of his more hard-earned victories. I think I also heard that this was the only time in history that such a feat was pulled off.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power EmptyMon Dec 18, 2006 8:36 am

Yeah. He fended off 300,000 Celts with only 50,000. And celts are more fierce then Romans. That's when discilpine comes into action.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rivalry for supreme power   The Rivalry for supreme power Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rivalry for supreme power
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: The Other Ones :: Roman Civil Wars-
Jump to: