The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?

Go down 
+3
Komrade
General Stuart
Civility_C
7 posters

Mainstream or Authentci/Progressive?
Mainstream
Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? Vote_lcap14%Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Authentic/Progressive
Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? Vote_lcap86%Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? Vote_rcap
 86% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? Empty
PostSubject: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySat Jan 13, 2007 8:25 am

I was just wondering (even though theres not a lot of reenactors on here) if those of you have done at least one reenactment prefer Mainstream or Authentic.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySat Jan 13, 2007 11:01 pm

I don't know if I'd be able to answer this poll fairly, all the reenactments I've taken part in were for one day only. All I wanted to do was get my hands on a Springfield. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Well, What kind of group did you go with?
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 12:22 pm

I'm not positive on that, but it was probably more mainstream.... if that means that they were very authentic, but they weren't all that strict on certain issues, like the style that they speak in, or the the leather-to-canvas ratio of their shoes, and little things like that. As far as farb, they were pretty careful about that, so, what does that make it? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Well, most of the time, if they had coolers, were eating beanie weenies at dinner time and all slept in tents, they are mainstream.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Jan 14, 2007 7:11 pm

No, they ate period food. I don't know about their storage means though...

And yes, they all slept in tents, but isn't that somewhat authentic? At least for armies in encampment?
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptyMon Jan 15, 2007 12:31 pm

Well, not exactly. From the beginning of the war there were tent shortages, which means that some soldiers selp on the cold hard ground.
Back to top Go down
Komrade
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
Komrade

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 pm

There is nothing that can quite compare to wrapping up in a blanket next to a fire and praying that you can still move your limbs in the morning.

In the Boy Scouts, I thought I knew what "roughing it" was...then I became a reenactor
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 pm

Komrade wrote:
There is nothing that can quite compare to wrapping up in a blanket next to a fire and praying that you can still move your limbs in the morning.

I only do that in houses. Theres not much to worry about in the houses except seeing something in the middle of the night and not being able to sleep for hours.pale
Back to top Go down
Just2SeetheLight
Artillary
Artillary
Just2SeetheLight

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2006-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Feb 11, 2007 2:16 pm

I have been to probably over 15 reenactments in the past 1 1/2 years and out of those the ones I had the most fun at were the authentic/progressive ones. There's just something about being surrounded by folks who want to perserve what they're portraying instead of people who have not idea what the difference is between FARB and Authentic. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/Savedoutofloneliness
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptySun Feb 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Well, most farbs are just in denial Wink
Back to top Go down
MajDoc
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
MajDoc

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 3:56 pm

Been reenacting most of my life. The most fun and good times were like this "If you can't carry it don't bring it"
Also bring the tent to a main stream is okay but it takes time to put up and take down.
It is a rush to wake up in 7 ins of snow or have a river over flow its banks and wash your tent away.(found it the next day wrapped around a tree down stream.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Ouch.... not good. I slept in my first tent in May at McDowell. It was COLD. I had never done a cold weather event and only had a shawl. Fun times.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 2:11 pm

I wish i could reenact.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm

We also have reenactment's of just about any period in Canada, but Quebec City is probably the place where most of the action happens.

We've been having some about the 1812 War

More about when the French and the Brits were fighting in order to take over the place, at the time they both thought there was an entire hill full of Diamonds.

When the Natives were trading with people from Europe (see France and the Brits).

The Natives Uprising in Manitoba that ended with a massacre.

An entire people getting deported (the Acadians called it The Great Disturbance).

And The Middle Ages festival (where most people wear stuff from that time period and get to choose who they are) happening in Quebec City...Again.

And many more all over the country, north of the border.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?   Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mainstream or Authentic/Progressive?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: The American Civil War :: Civil War Reenactment-
Jump to: