The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Debate on Slavery

Go down 
+3
The Opposition
DCCCfC aka General Lee
General Stuart
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Civility_C wrote:
General Stuart wrote:

So far as the numbers thing, I got my stats (25% owning slaves, 3.5% with 50+) from a history book, so there. Very Happy

I've read a science book. Wanna know what it said? "The world took 5 BILLION years to evolve." Um... we all kinda know that not true. Yet, it was still in a book. Razz

I"m not disagreeing with you, I"m just sayin' Razz

you're mean...always taking Stuarts side...

" I'm not disagreeeing with you, just saying" Razz

Somebody has a crush....Laughing
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Yeah Oppie, try to shame the lady into deserting her cause. Real nice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Hey now, woah woah woah. Me and Stuart? Are you an idiot? Me and Stuart, tahts is COMICAL! lolololololololololooo

I am laughing SO hard right now!!!
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 11:12 pm

That wasnt shaming, I was being serious about both Razz
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Nope. I do not have a crush on Stuart.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 11:32 am

Moving on Razz

Anyway Stuart answer my post you bad bad boy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2007 2:09 pm

still waiting....
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 am

and still waiting. *sips cup of chamomile tea*
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Oppie, if you're waiting for me to sit here and tell you that slavery is a wonderful institution that we should seriously consider re-instating.... don't hold your breath. Very Happy Because I'm never going to come to that conclusion. However, as slavery applied to the United States prior to the Civil War, we can only consider how slavery was looked upon by the status quo, and similarly how the status quo looked upon the part slavery played in the Bible. This seemingly lame form of pacification was enough to keep such a practice as slavery stabilized for hundreds of years in America.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 1:32 pm

There was only one thing that I raise my eyebrows when it comes to slavery.

The South said the blackman wasn't human. That they were property. And yet, they wanted thier property to go to the population count for the House of Repersenatives. That sends mixed messages. The blackman was property, and yet, they were still human in the sense that it profitted the South's white population when it came to the vote. Kind of strange isn't it?
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2007 12:32 am

General Stuart wrote:
Oppie, if you're waiting for me to sit here and tell you that slavery is a wonderful institution that we should seriously consider re-instating.... don't hold your breath. Very Happy Because I'm never going to come to that conclusion. However, as slavery applied to the United States prior to the Civil War, we can only consider how slavery was looked upon by the status quo, and similarly how the status quo looked upon the part slavery played in the Bible. This seemingly lame form of pacification was enough to keep such a practice as slavery stabilized for hundreds of years in America.

so are you finally infering that all slavery was wrong? Sincemorals dont change, the oppinions of the day shouldent have an effect on it...
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2007 12:32 am

Iron Brigade General wrote:
There was only one thing that I raise my eyebrows when it comes to slavery.

The South said the blackman wasn't human. That they were property. And yet, they wanted thier property to go to the population count for the House of Repersenatives. That sends mixed messages. The blackman was property, and yet, they were still human in the sense that it profitted the South's white population when it came to the vote. Kind of strange isn't it?

its the poloticians doing
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 16, 2007 4:31 pm

I know that. The politicians were the ones that allowed the slave trade with Africa to exsist until 1810.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 17, 2007 1:08 pm

did anyone know that slaves outnumbered the number of southerners? that says something..
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 17, 2007 6:24 pm

Slaves (entire US) at time of Civil War: 5 million.
Southerners at Civil War: 5 1/2 million.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 pm

how sure are you of those numbers? Cause I seem to remember the difference being greater..
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

I've read a bunch of materials on it. I don't remember which ones they were at the moment, but very good resources.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2007 8:03 pm

eh, I trust the internet cources of texts then textbooks cause they are outdated. The internet is sconstantly being revised
Back to top Go down
PCCalhoun
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
PCCalhoun

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 08, 2007 12:47 am

DCCCfC aka General Lee wrote:
The Opposition wrote:

Slaves could have been paid off, threatened, or had there writings forged. I'm just saying we cant overlook what might have been. We need to consider all possibilities.

afro
That is a foolish unbased statement. Rolling Eyes Very Happy Give me proof that HUNDREDS of slaves got paid off and I might change my oppinion about its stupidity. Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes
Actually, a systematic analysis of the slave narratives has been written in the form of Paul Escott's Slavery Remembered, and he makes a point that most (if not all) interviews were conducted by white people (in what was still very much a racist society), and therefore the slaves may well have been cautious in expressing any negative emotions regarding their white owners.

Besides, of those slave narratives, only very few were outright positive about their masters. Also, I always like to keep in mind that the interviews were held over 60 years after the war. Only those who had a good enough health to survive were able to tell the tale; I fear that those who were treated worst never had the chance to partake in the interviews.

So, maybe the slaves were not bribed to say some favorable things, but the society they lived in might still have instilled in them a fear to speak out too loudly or too honestly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.evangelievanpeter.nl
PCCalhoun
Drummer Boy
Drummer Boy
PCCalhoun

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 08, 2007 12:52 am

The Opposition wrote:
did anyone know that slaves outnumbered the number of southerners? that says something..
The most common numbers I know is that out of the total of 9 million Southerners, 4 million were slaves. There were areas, or even states, where slaves outnumbered free people, however.
Back to top Go down
http://www.evangelievanpeter.nl
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 pm

PCCalhoun wrote:
DCCCfC aka General Lee wrote:
The Opposition wrote:

Slaves could have been paid off, threatened, or had there writings forged. I'm just saying we cant overlook what might have been. We need to consider all possibilities.

afro
That is a foolish unbased statement. Rolling Eyes Very Happy Give me proof that HUNDREDS of slaves got paid off and I might change my oppinion about its stupidity. Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes
Actually, a systematic analysis of the slave narratives has been written in the form of Paul Escott's Slavery Remembered, and he makes a point that most (if not all) interviews were conducted by white people (in what was still very much a racist society), and therefore the slaves may well have been cautious in expressing any negative emotions regarding their white owners.

Besides, of those slave narratives, only very few were outright positive about their masters. Also, I always like to keep in mind that the interviews were held over 60 years after the war. Only those who had a good enough health to survive were able to tell the tale; I fear that those who were treated worst never had the chance to partake in the interviews.

So, maybe the slaves were not bribed to say some favorable things, but the society they lived in might still have instilled in them a fear to speak out too loudly or too honestly.

You're right.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 2:00 pm

And Stuart, I am STILL WAITING.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2007 2:01 pm

General Stuart wrote:
I hate how people used, and use, the Bible as a scapegoat for some many ubsurd ideas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Debate on Slavery   The Debate on Slavery - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Debate on Slavery
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The American Civil War Rocks! :: The American Civil War :: Causes-
Jump to: