The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)

Go down 
+2
The Opposition
Civility_C
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) Empty
PostSubject: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyMon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 am

You know, we've been focusing on the the Generals and stuff that we've kinda forgotten about the soldiers that fought the battles. Most of the men in the Cw were 15-24. Some younger some older but most of them were in the range.

Elisha Stockwell, Jr. 15 years old, Alma Wisconsin
We heard there was going to be a war meeting at our little log school house. I went to the meeting and when they called for volunteers, Harrison Maxon (21), Edgar Houghton (16), and myself, put our names down.... My father was there and objected to my going, so they scratched my name out, which humiliated me somewhat. My sister gave me a severe calling down...for exposing my ignorance before the public, and called me a little snotty boy, which raised my anger. I told her, "Never mind, I'll go and show you that I am not the little boy you think I am."
The Captain got me in by lying a little, as I told the recruiting officer I didn't know just how old I was but thought I was eighteen. He didn't measure my height, but called me five feet five inches high. I wasn't that tall two years later when I re-enlisted, but they let it go, sot he records show that as my height.

Elisha Stockwell Spring, 1862. Last survivor of Company I, 14th Wisconsin Volunteers, Shiloh
As we lay there and the shells were flying over us, my thoughts went back to my home, and I thought what a foolish boy I was to run away to get into such a mess I was in.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyMon Dec 11, 2006 3:28 pm

I've read that book, I thought it was awesome. afro
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyMon Dec 11, 2006 3:31 pm

Yes the book is awesome. This isn't the book though :p
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyMon Dec 11, 2006 5:26 pm

What are you trying to pull Oppie? Laughing I read a book called "A Boy's War" years ago that I found at the library. All I remember are the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyTue Dec 12, 2006 7:00 am

OK! THIS IS NOT THE BOOK PEOPLE! I'm going to start a topic in the books section about it if you'll leave this one alone!
The Boys War was another name in many for the war!Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyTue Dec 12, 2006 8:07 am

We know Civ. I thought to that this was the Book. Well, here's a boy.
Willie Johnson Jr.

3rd Vermont Infantry.

Drummer boy

Served through the Peninsula Campaign. Helped Julian Scott take over wounded comrades. Was the only one left with his drum when Abe Lincoln came to inpect the AOTP. Got malaria, was forced to leave the army to go to Washington D.C. to hospital. After he got well, he helped other wounded and sick. Was awarded the Medal of Honor in late 1862 by Lincoln himself.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyTue Dec 12, 2006 9:12 am

Iron Brigade General wrote:
We know Civ.

Well They didn't :p
Back to top Go down
coby
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
coby

Number of posts : 1542
Registration date : 2006-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyTue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 am

well, you've got to give them time to figure things out, we arn't all as smart as you civ. Wink study
Back to top Go down
DCCCfC aka General Lee
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
DCCCfC aka General Lee

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2006-10-10

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyTue Dec 12, 2006 6:48 pm

As Grant said about who the Confederates had gotten for soldiers... "They [The Confederates] have robbed the cradle and the grave"
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/cgeneralsleea
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyTue Dec 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Civ, I know about the alternate name, but you might have specified it wasn't a book, because that's what I thought you were talking about when I saw all those little letters lol. I thought you copied and pasted from the book whose name you made title of the topic. oh well, I misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyWed Dec 13, 2006 8:34 am

DOn't worry Stuart. That was all our problems.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 8:25 am

Stuart, don't you think if I was talking about the book, I would have put it in the books section? tongue Wink
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) EmptyThu Dec 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Don't worry, we all make mistakes Civ. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)   The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Boys War (NOT THE BOOK)
Page 1 of 1