The American Civil War Rocks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The American Civil War Rocks!

Civil War Battles, People and Armies

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Northern Weapons

Go down 
+2
Iron Brigade General
The Opposition
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 2:26 pm

I thought it would be intresting to discuss the types of weapons that were used by the north. I'm sure we've all read that most of the weapons at the begining of the war dated all the way back to the revolutionary war. afro
Back to top Go down
Iron Brigade General
President
President
Iron Brigade General

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2006-10-03

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 2:30 pm

Depends on what side you are talking about to. South had more outdated weapons.
But, I like the Springfield musket-rifles. Shot 500 yards accurately and was over 5 feet long. Those things were powerful.
Back to top Go down
https://americancivilwarrock.editboard.com
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Well I'm talking about northern weapons arent I IBG:D that is what the topic's name is.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Number of posts : 1465
Registration date : 2006-10-23

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 4:20 pm

My favorite piece of trivia on weapons is the fact that 'Stonewall' Jackson ordered 20,000 pikes constructed for his men to use. Apparently, he had such a firm belief that his was the army of the lord, that he had, at one time, hopes of equipping his men similar to the armies of the Bible. The pikes were found at the end of the war rusting away in Richmond warehouses.

And I apoligize if this doesn't quite fit in the category of Northern weapons, but I am interested in all weapons of the war, period, regardless of their belonging to North or South. And, if you insist on sticking mainly to Northern weapons, all you'll find is that they always managed to have newer and better equipment than their Southern opponents. The most interesting bits of information on Civil War ordinance lay in the Southern armies.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Number of posts : 1300
Registration date : 2006-10-05

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 pm

Northern Weapons... in the southern homefront section. Hmm.... Does no one else think this is slightly weird?
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 7:13 pm

ha, maybe you should move it to.....hm....IBG never made a section for weapons.... maybe he should do that next... Idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Jan 08, 2007 7:15 pm

you poeple are all seing things i think you better go check the section names lol
Back to top Go down
debski
Aministrator's Mommy
Aministrator's Mommy

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2006-10-11

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 12:37 pm

Let's see IBG forgets this is about Northern weapons, probably because he has a Lee bowie knife and is now confused, and there are Northern weapons in the South. Probably being used by the South after the removal from their owner, makes a great deal of sense to me if I got a good weapon I would use it too, not that the south didn't have good weapons. No
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyTue Jan 09, 2007 4:20 pm

By 1863 Lee's army had captured 150 Union cannon. This prompted one rebel prisoner being led to the rear to say "Ya'll almost have as many of those 'U.S.' guns as we do!"
Back to top Go down
Adrocles
Cavalry Trooper
Cavalry Trooper
Adrocles

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2006-10-13

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptySun Feb 11, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm not sure of when this was around for the first time but...

Wasn't the Gattling Gun designed during this war? I think it was the very first Machine Guns in history.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptySun Feb 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Yes it was.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptySun Feb 11, 2007 11:35 pm

That it was. Funny how it wasnt tested and assured in time to be used by either side. I think they said it was...touchy...or something like that. lol, sucks for them, the war could have ended a lot quicker and been a lot less bloody.
Back to top Go down
Civility_C
General-in-Chief
General-in-Chief
Civility_C

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Feb 12, 2007 2:15 pm

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/photos/39thillreg.html

Thats a rare photo of a Civil War machine gun battery
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Feb 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Actually, I don't think the war could have ended any less bloody than it did; from the start it was doomed to last a long time. It was basically Lincoln's political and will-power vs. the South's manpower. And though the South was limited in manpower, it's patriotic fervor made up for this two-fold.
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyMon Feb 12, 2007 3:54 pm

General Stuart wrote:
Actually, I don't think the war could have ended any less bloody than it did; from the start it was doomed to last a long time. It was basically Lincoln's political and will-power vs. the South's manpower. And though the South was limited in manpower, it's patriotic fervor made up for this two-fold.
You are probably right, its not like the union soldiers knew how to use a gun right anyways haha.
Back to top Go down
General Stuart
Iron Brigade
Iron Brigade
General Stuart

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyTue Feb 13, 2007 6:14 pm

The Opposition wrote:
You are probably right, its not like the union soldiers knew how to use a gun right anyways haha.

This, coming from a hard-headed Yankee. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Opposition
Army Commander
Army Commander
The Opposition

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons EmptyWed Feb 14, 2007 10:55 am

Hey, just because I favor the Union doesnt mean that I dont know it had flaws ok? Capesh? Cool Now, back to topic Please.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Northern Weapons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Northern Weapons   Northern Weapons Empty

Back to top Go down

Northern Weapons
Page 1 of 1